4342 miles for freedom

Sunday, February 19, 2006

when it rains, it pours

It's been a rough week for your intrepid reporter. Last Sunday I was snowbound by the biggest snowstorm of the season, lasting from before I woke up until well past dark. The next day, the weather reverted to unseasonably warm, so that the 16.5 inches of beautiful snow we got disappeared quite rapidly. On Friday it poured, which destroyed what little snow was left. Meanwhile, I've had the worst toothache of my life, on and off (mostly on), all week. It was the first Valentine's Day since splitting up with my husband. I had to work overtime every day. And the biggest project I'm assigned to at work is rapidly turning into a shitstorm of legendary proportions. Meanwhile, a friend sent me an angry, expletive-laced email commenting on a few of my personality flaws. I think I set a new personal record for quantity of alcohol consumed; if only drinking were an Olympic sport, "I mighta been a contendah!" Despite all that, I found time to speak with a PR consultant about a possible magazine interview on women and guns, which would get the FSP some much-needed publicity. And I have been working feverishly on the next incarnation of this blog, which should be ready for launch within the next week; stay tuned! On a more positive note, I was gruntled to be elected to the FSP's Board of Directors. Crafty strategic move on the part of the voters, or blatant example of the tyranny of the majority and democracy run amok? Guess you'll have to decide that for yourself.

"What an incredible Cinderella story, this unknown comes outta no where to lead the pack, at Augusta. He's on his final hole, he's about 455 yards away -- he's gonna hit about a 2-iron, I think. Oh he got all of that one! ... This crowd has gone deathly silent, the Cinderella story, outta nowhere, a former greenskeeper now -- about to become The Masters champion. It looks like a mirac -- It's in the hole!" - Bill Murray, in a manically brilliant improvisational moment

8 Comments:

  • I'm sorry you had such a rough week! If it helps at all, please know that your blog and the idea of the FSP sustain me in my darker moments here in the police state of Chicago.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 12:08:00 PM  

  • Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :)

    Pat K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 05:09:00 PM  

  • re: police state of Chicago

    Aw, thanks! You made my day.

    By Blogger Friday, at 2/21/2006 07:53:00 AM  

  • Your blog is refreshingly honest and forthcoming. Please keep up all of your great work for the cause of liberty, including your own. The first way we become truly free is to be free from the tyranny of ourselves over our ideal selves.

    BTW: Endorphin highs work much better than alcohol ever did, and without the guilt. When I feel stressed, I work out like a maniac and suddenly I'm calm and focused. Everything just whirrs by me as I observe the noise and choose whether or not to get involved.

    Caio for now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 01:19:00 PM  

  • Hope Next week is better.
    Lloyd

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 05:00:00 PM  

  • re: fire

    That's OK; I like fire. ;-)

    By Blogger Friday, at 2/21/2006 06:55:00 PM  

  • re: freedom and exercise

    Thanks for the kind words.

    By Blogger Friday, at 2/21/2006 06:56:00 PM  

  • re: next week

    Hoo boy... you know you're in sorry shape when a curmudgeon is trying to cheer you up! ;-)

    By Blogger Friday, at 2/21/2006 06:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home