4342 miles for freedom

Sunday, January 22, 2006

girls will be girls

Female members of the Free State Project are just like other American girls: we talk about our relationships, bitch about our weight, fall in love, break up, get married, get divorced, have babies, go shopping, go to the gym/yoga class, nurse broken hearts, despair over our credit card bills. Some of us are married, some have kids, some have close personal relationships with Jesus, and some of us aren't/don't. In addition to all of that, we write legislation, campaign for our friends, run for public office, lead liberty-oriented organizations ranging from dozens to thousands of members, stage public acts of civil disobedience, serve time in jail for standing up for our beliefs, run liberty-oriented websites, and organize freedom-themed events ranging from 1 to 7 days in length. Yesterday I spent the entire day with some of my fellow female early-movers to New Hampshire. It was a prototypical female Porcupine day: first seven of us went to the Wilson Hill Pistol Club in Manchester to take an NRA Basic Pistol course, taught by another FSP member. Then we peeled off our dirty T-shirts, slipped on feminine tops, and headed over to the Derryfield Country Club to hook up with several more female Porcupines to throw a combined bridal shower/bachlorette party for the fiancee of another FSP member. Here are some of the topics discussed:

  • my new boyfriend is awesome
  • my old boyfriend is driving me crazy
  • I have *got* to lose this weight
  • I wish my boyfriend would lose weight
  • I can't believe how much weight I have gained!!
  • I love the teachers (FSP members) at the Montessori school my kids attend
  • I got married last month!
  • my daughter is getting married!
  • I'm getting married next month!!
  • renovations on my house are *not* going according to schedule
  • we're going to let the gender of our new baby be a surprise
  • my low-carb diet
  • can I address the state House of Representatives with my four young kids in tow?
  • I'm the state coordinator of the Second Amendment Sisters, and we need more strong women leaders
  • I'm working on the schedule for PorcFest, the largest annual gathering of libertarians in the world
  • my homeschool bill is currently sitting on the Governor's desk, waiting to be signed into law

Yep, that about covers it.

6 Comments:

  • Totally awesome... Sorry I stole one of the liberty ladies away to Alaska for the weekend. Sounds like she would have enjoyed being in the mix... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2006 10:01:00 PM  

  • You rawk, Friday, as do *all* the Porcupine women. Glad you're all there! I'm in love. With you all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/23/2006 10:41:00 AM  

  • I was there, one of the few 'single' women in the group, and had a fun time.

    No boyfriend, though, so the bitching didn't come from me! LOL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/23/2006 12:41:00 PM  

  • re: stolen liberty lady

    She did a wonderful job of planning and decorating the bridal shower, despite being several thousand miles away. :-)

    By Blogger Friday, at 1/28/2006 09:01:00 AM  

  • re: in love

    oooh, a secret admirer ;-)

    By Blogger Friday, at 1/28/2006 09:01:00 AM  

  • re: bitching

    suuuuuuuuuure it didn't ;-)

    By Blogger Friday, at 1/28/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home